Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What A Day At The Hospital Today

Well, today was the big day for my mapping. We had to be there at 6:30am which was fine, then they took me in and started to hook me up to all the hardware and all of a sudden I started having panic attacks as I flashed back to the time I was there before.

I started feeling okay up till they told me that they would have to shave me again to prep the area. That is were I lost it. You just lose all manhood when they do that to you so I was not feeling good at that point.

The good news was that they only shaved my legs in that area just enough to make a 1/2 inch incision. I was now feeling pretty good. they then rolled me down to the operating room and gave me the drugs to get me loopy before they started. It worked.

When I was done, I woke up and they said I had been there for a while but was still recovering so I went back to sleep. Later they gave me lunch and then told me I could go after they took out my IV. That is when it went bad. I ate my lunch, got my IV out and stood up to go and got sick and had to vomet my lunch right out.

I then felt okay so we started to leave and I got on the elevator and went down to the first floor and I started to black out so when I got out of the elevator I dropped right to the floor and was close to out.
Note to anyone reading: When you pass out in a hospital, you get a LOT of people that come running. I looked up and found about 10 people that were standing above me calling for help and asking me how I was feeling and checking my blood pressure. They finally got a gurney and put me on it and took me to the ER. I told them I didnt want to be checked in there so they just let me sit on the chairs outside of the ER and watched me for a while. after about 5 minutes, I started feeling fine so we stood up and left.

I tell you, it was really strange having so many people fuss over me. I have always been on the side lines watching other people have that type of stuff happen to them. I really felt like an idiot but oh well. I guess it was the safe thing to do.

So now I am home and letting my leg heal up so that I dont start bleeding. I was told not to drive today but other than that, I am fine.

We really never found out what made me pass out but I think it was just that I was still groggy from the meds and should have waited a little longer before trying to get up and leave.

Now we have to wait for a couple of weeks and then they will call back and set up the day for the Radiation treatment. Then back in for a repeat.

I will keep you posted.


JayDee said...

Wow! Dad! Sounds like you had an exciting day yesterday! I'm sorry it was tough for you. I love you.

Anonymous said...

What a nice way to spend your holiday vacation!! Hope you are recovering ok. We're always thinking of you guys!!!! (even though we are completely inept at staying in touch--don't give up on us!)
Jen and clan

Heather Shepherd said...

The whole story from the waking up, falling back to sleep, eating lunch and being sick twice after sounded exactly like my trip to the hospital for wrist surgery a few years back! Not fun for sure! Glad you're home to recoup now.

Rana said...

Evan, reading your entry helps me understand more of the things you are having to go through, I am sorry for it, and can't imagine where you are drawing your strength, and knowing it must be for our Savior, your sweet wife and kids.